The leader of a powerful chiefdom, the “Lady” of Cofitachiqui encountered Hernando de Soto and his conquistadors in 1540 as they passed through her territory (probably near the modern town of Camden). Read the Entry »

The firm operated under the name Lafaye and Lafaye until 1937–1938, when Herndon M. Fair and George E. Lafaye, Jr., were made partners. Read the Entry »

Since 1974 the institution has operated as Laing Middle School. A South Carolina Highway Marker, which was erected by the Laing High School Alumni Association, stands at the site of the original Laing School. Read the Entry »

By 1893 the Lake City population had grown to three hundred and the town flourished as the largest strawberry market in the state, shipping between five and seven thousand bushels to the northern markets annually. Read the Entry »

All of the large lakes in South Carolina were created during the twentieth century when energy companies built dams on nearly all of the major river systems to produce hydroelectric power. Read the Entry »

On March 3 about 150 to 200 men and women clashed with about 150 South Carolina highway patrolmen and agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). Demonstrators and police received minor injuries, and flying glass cut some students when the mob smashed the bus windows. Read the Entry »

Lamboll contributed to the establishment and advancement of scientific gardening in colonial South Carolina. Read the Entry »

The region’s antebellum economy was dominated by agriculture, and Lancaster served as the district’s central market for farm produce, especially cotton. By 1920 more than three-fourths of the crop value in the county came from cotton, with a similar percentage of county farms worked by propertyless tenants. Read the Entry »

With the arrival of the gin, short-staple cotton was grown extensively in Lancaster, which increased the demand of planters and farmers for slave labor. In 1800 slaves comprised only one-sixth of Lancaster’s population. Read the Entry »

The courthouse and jail were designated as National Historic Landmarks by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1973. Read the Entry »

Page 1 of 1012345...10...Last »