John Niernsee was the principal architect responsible for the design and construction of the South Carolina State House and had a significant influence on architectural practice in the state during the second half of the nineteenth century. His son Frank followed in his father’s footsteps by finishing the interior of the State House and operating a successful architectural practice in Columbia during the 1880s and 1890s. Read the Entry »

The hotel, standing twenty-nine feet above sea level, with a ten-story wedding-cake tower flanked by two five-story wings, was South Carolina’s Statue of Liberty. Read the Entry »

Granite slabs five feet long, twenty-one inches wide, and eighteen inches deep supported walls of stone and concretelike mortar that ranged from twelve to eighteen inches thick. It was one of the first concrete buildings constructed in the South. Read the Entry »

On May 9, 1803, the church was the site of a gathering of ministers and church elders that resulted in the formation of the Associate Reformed Synod of the Carolinas. Today it is revered as the “mother church” of the A.R.P. faith. Read the Entry »

Unlike other cotton mills in Columbia that used steam or hydroelectric power, Olympia had its own coal-fired electrical plant that supplied electricity to Olympia and Whaley’s three other mills, as well as the Columbia Street Railway Power Company. Read the Entry »

“Road shows” that traveled the country provided dramatic productions, musical comedies, operas, minstrel shows, and other live entertainment. Columbia’s opera house booked Broadway hits and stars such as Sarah Bernhardt, Ethel Barrymore, Lillian Russell, and Nat Goodwin. Read the Entry »

Its sleek, vertical form represented the cutting edge of architectural design and added a sense of metropolitan sophistication to the skyline of South Carolina’s capital city. Read the Entry »

At the outbreak of war in 1775, Pinckney became a captain in the First South Carolina Continental regiment and was later promoted to major. Read the Entry »

Pisé de terre, or “rammed earth,” is an ancient form of building construction. Read the Entry »

Plantations distinguished themselves from smaller farms not only by the sheer size of their landholdings and workforce but in other ways as well. Read the Entry »