In its modern configuration, Charleston County is a long sliver of land—mainland and islands— bounded at the north and south by the South Santee and South Edisto Rivers. It has existed only since 1882. Read the Entry »

In Charleston in 1969 issues of race, class, and gender coalesced in a strike of more than four hundred African American hospital workers, mostly female, against the all-white administrations of the Medical College Hospital (MCH) and Charleston County Hospital (CCH). Read the Entry »

The Works Progress Administration helped significantly in developing the facilities during the 1930s, and Charleston continued to run the airport until World War II. Read the Entry »

During the second half of the nineteenth century, more and more cast-iron elements were used to embellish Charleston’s iron gates and fences. These mass-produced elements were created mainly in New York, Philadelphia, and Boston and shipped south to satisfy the new demand for solid, lifelike replicas of flowers, leaves, and branches that were favored during the Victorian period. Read the Entry »

Among the collections of the Charleston Library Society are rare books, pamphlets, a manuscript collection, and the society’s records. The most significant collection is the society’s newspaper files, which contain the world’s largest and most complete collection of eighteenth and nineteenth century Charleston newspapers. Read the Entry »

Although begun as a literary journal, the Charleston Mercury developed into one of the state’s most radical and combative newspapers. Read the Entry »

Founded in 1773, the Charleston Museum is the oldest municipal museum in the United States. It originated as an auxiliary of the Charleston Library Society dedicated to the collection, preservation, and study of “materials promoting a Natural History” of South Carolina. Read the Entry »

Until the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Charleston Naval Shipyard remained instrumental in the navy’s nuclear submarine program. After 1990 the lowcountry facility became less important. Read the Entry »

In 1790 the city council established the Charleston Orphan House “for the purpose of supporting and educating poor orphan children, and those of poor, distressed and disabled parents who are unable to support and maintain them.” It was the first public orphanage in America. Read the Entry »

Envisioned as an advance in the humane treatment of the sick and uplift of the deserving poor, the Charleston Poorhouse and Hospital was intended to serve as an infirmary for the physically and mentally ill and to provide shelter, food, and reform for the needy. Read the Entry »