The Heath Charter is important because it was the model for the successful 1663 Carolina Charter, and it was the first colonial charter that included the area of modern South Carolina. Read the Entry »

The society has also broadened its charity program by using its general fund for contributions to local professional agencies that minister to needy cases regardless of race, religion, or nationality. Read the Entry »

Heller championed the desegregation of city hall and membership of municipal commissions, and the building of community centers. To provide more economical public transportation, he led the creation of the Greenville Transit Authority. Read the Entry »

Enthralled by Amelia Earhart’s exploits, Hembel decided to be a pilot at a time when female pilots were a novelty. Read the Entry »

From 1934 to 1936 Hemphill was headquartered in Columbia, where he supervised several New Deal projects, among them the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), in which he produced measured drawings of Robert Mills’s Ainsley Hall House. Read the Entry »

In late 1963 President Kennedy decided to appoint Hemphill to the federal bench, United States Fourth Judicial Court. The appointment papers, however, were still on his desk when the president was assassinated that November in Dallas. Read the Entry »

While governor, he urged the improvement of public education. His accusations that corrupt legislators sold “their votes for money and for whiskey” did not win him many friends in the General Assembly. Read the Entry »

Several post–Civil War–era newspapers contributed to the founding of the Herald. Read the Entry »

Ambrose Gonzales, founder and publisher of the State in Columbia, bought the indebted Herald in 1905 and hired Charles O. Hearon of Virginia as the editor. Hearon became influential in the state, campaigning for open city council meetings, a state highway system, and industrial development. Read the Entry »

Excavations by the Charleston Museum revealed the houses, activities, and artifacts of the Milners, the Heywards, the antebellum owners, and the enslaved African American occupants. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970. Read the Entry »