This interesting photo of part of the ACL mill in the foreground shows nice balance. Easily discernable are part of the thirty-six miles of rail that ran throughout the mill carrying the product from tree to lumber and then to the long shed for shipment. The large light-colored building on the left is made up of 14 kiln rooms each 20 feet wide and 104 feet long. There are 14 on the right side also. This was the largest dry kiln operation anywhere in the world about 1915. The 4 smoke stacks on the left are located on the bend of the Sampit River. Three houses on the bank (the Colber, the Parker, the Kaminski) are clearly visible as well as the U.S. Bost Office and Customs House. Behind the smokestack in the center of the picture, one can see three of the four masts of a schooner docked at the long shed (not seen) taking on cargo. View the Image »

On November 11, 1926, Armistice Day, under the auspices of The Daughters of the American Revolution, the plaque pictured above was unveiled in a solemn ceremony. Below, the scene of the proceedings. The Rev. H. D. Bull is the gentleman standing on the balcony. Mayor Charles B. Colbert made the introductions and State Senator S. M. Ward was the principal speaker. The 2 Girl Scouts who unveiled the tablet, seated here on either side, were Mary Belle Higgins and Harriett Witte. The tablet remains today in this place of honor on the Georgetown County Court House, one of the oldest of the city's public buildings. View the Image »

Photographed on the first day of television broadcast for WSPA-TV : Senator Strom Thurmond, Walter Brown, and Governor James F. Byrnes. WSPA was South Carolina's first television station. View the Image »