A historic marker in front of the courthouse in Kingstree. Written on the sign, "Old muster ground and courthouse. This lot was designated the parade ground in the original survey of the town in 1737. It served as the muster ground for the local militia during colonial and Revolutionary times. The present courthouse, designed by Robert Mills, was built in 1823. The second story burned in 1883 and was repaired. The courthouse was enlarged in 1901 and remodeled again in 1954". Visible in the background is the Confederate monument that stands over courthouse square. It was dedicated on May 10, 1910.