The house and its outbuildings are one of the most complete and best preserved urban domestic complexes of the antebellum era. Read the Entry »

The subtropical climate and wealth created by plantation agriculture led to the emergence of distinctive forms and, in some cases, exceptionally sophisticated buildings. At the same time, the dominant theme in South Carolina architecture has always been the vernacular: common buildings designed to serve utilitarian purposes and lacking significant stylistic ornamentation. Read the Entry »

Barrier islands tend to possess an elongated shape. In general, the northern end is longer than the southern end, which is constantly affected by erosion. Read the Entry »

Designed by the New York architect James Brite, the Barringer Building initially was home to the National Loan and Exchange Bank, the largest financial institution in South Carolina. Read the Entry »

Battery Wagner was the principal fortification on Morris Island during the Civil War. Read the Entry »

Their term "Oyster point" originally described the peninsula in general, but after Charleston was relocated to the eastern shore of the peninsula in 1680, the terms “Oyster Point” and “White Point” were used to refer specifically to its southernmost tip. Read the Entry »

Beacham and LeGrand began their partnership in 1920 by designing Greenville’s Salvation Army Hospital. In the decade that followed, they were commissioned to design some of the city’s most important buildings. Read the Entry »

In 1824 forty-eight members of Beth Elohim, led by Isaac Harby and Abraham Moise, whose requests for changes in worship services had been rejected by the adjunta (board of trustees), formed the Reform Society of Israelites. This was the first attempt to reform Judaism in the United States; it functioned for nine years. The synagogue, now the oldest surviving Reform synagogue in the world, became a National Historic Landmark in 1980. Read the Entry »

The national trend toward improving waterways and other public facilities led South Carolina to create the Board of Public Works in December 1819. The enabling legislation created a five-person board headed by two paid acting commissioners. Read the Entry »

The settlement began in 1766 as the two-hundred-acre farm of Colonel William Bratton (ca. 1742–1815), but by the early nineteenth century Brattonsville had become one of the largest plantations in the upstate. Read the Entry »