Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff

Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff

1946–1970s

Images

Thomas Cooper Library

In 1959 the University of South Carolina opened its new Undergraduate Library. Designed by Edward Durell Stone and Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff, the structure won the coveted First Honor Award from the American Institute of Architects in 1963. In 1976 a large, partially underground addition was completed, transforming the building into the campus’s main library. It is named for Thomas Cooper, the second president of South Carolina College. Cooper was born in England and educated at Oxford. He joined the faculty of South Carolina College in 1819, teaching chemistry, mineralogy, and political economy, in which he was considered a pioneer.

Citation Information

The following information is provided for citations.

  • Title Lyles, Bissett, Carlisle & Wolff
  • Coverage 1946–1970s
  • Author
  • Keywords Founded in 1946 by William Gordon Lyles, developed into the premier architectural, engineering, and planning concern in South Carolina and the Southeast by the late 1950s and remained so well into the 1970s, military service during World War II, made a name for itself in the Southeast in post-war, federally assisted housing, College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects
  • Website Name South Carolina Encyclopedia
  • Publisher University of South Carolina, Institute for Southern Studies
  • URL
  • Access Date March 3, 2024
  • Original Published Date
  • Date of Last Update August 9, 2022
Go to Top