The South Carolina Botanical Garden (SCBG) was dedicated in 1992. Located on the Clemson University campus, the SCBG was formed by merging two Clemson departmental outdoor laboratories. The horticultural portion of the garden was established in 1958 to preserve a camellia collection on the Clemson College campus.
The garden’s mission, programs, and festivals focus on both environmental and cultural conservation. The 295-acre garden is comprised of woodlands, streams, ponds, trails, and continually evolving specialty areas such as a wildflower garden, a butterfly garden, a flower and turf display garden, a Xeriscape garden, a hosta garden, a piedmont prairie meadow, and heritage gardens. Encompassing one of America’s largest daffodil, camellia, and nature-based sculpture collections, the garden is open 365 days a year from dawn to dusk, and admission is free of charge.
SCBG hosts an outstanding collection of nature-based sculpture built by artists working with Clemson University faculty and students. Educational outreach is also achieved through Sprouting Wings, an after-school program for children. Research and display gardens provide study of environmental issues including water conservation, pesticide reduction, plant breeding, turf-grass management, and sustainable and heirloom vegetable production. Buildings such as a geology and natural history museum, the Hanover House (a French colonial plantation home built in 1716 in Berkeley County and moved to Clemson in 1941), and a discovery center located in the garden provide insight into natural, cultural, and historic treasures of the Palmetto State.